So why do I write? in a blog format? What is it about the act of writing and putting my thinking out there knowing and expecting that someone may read it? With the hope, even, that someone does. Does it matter if they do? Blogging is an interesting act. I write from what interests me, set it aside overnight, then click “Publish” the next day. I check the WordPress stats page to see if anyone has, by chance, found their way to look at it. I can tell they brought it up on their device, but don’t know beyond that. Occasionally someone will comment. I’m pleasantly struck when I see people from around the world have stopped in for a look. It makes me wonder how they ever made their way to the “Purple Crayon.” All makes for a bit closer world.
On occasion, there is a nice connection with another blogger that sees the world with a similar lens. And today I share a thanks to Ally from “My Little Piece of Quiet” for nominating my blog for the “Versatile Blog Award”. While not a Pulitzer, it does point to a shared link through the expressed written word. Perhaps that is the motivation behind writing – seeking the connection of like spirits. I thank you, Ally, for listing “The Purple Crayon” as one of your nominees.
Interestingly the February issue of “NSTA Reports” (National Science Teachers Association) came out. I had a shared contribution to an article by the editor on the role of learning through mistakes.
In keeping with the “rules” of this award…
Seven facts about me…
- I find some of my greatest pleasure in creative acts of building…
- …tangible products in my woodshop
- …less tangible, but equally creative – a welcoming classroom learning environment
- Excited to be a grandpa for the third time by the end of March
- I’ve been enjoying viewing again all the Star Trek episodes – now on “Deep Space Nine”
- I have a well-preserved orange that dates back to my first year of teaching (forgot it in my desk to be found only after it was well on its way to long term preservation)
- Every year of marriage finds its way to become increasingly richer – approaching 38 years in a few weeks
Selected blogs worth reading
- My Little Piece of Quiet
- Connected Marriage and Family Therapy
- Moments Captured
- NOAA Teacher at Sea
- Peace Ranch
- Saint Paul By Bike Every Block of Every Street
- Letters From the Clouds
- The New Nature Movement